Monday, November 7, 2011

Make Sure NOT to Vote on Tuesday

Mr. Anderson, my very creative and humorous high school civics teacher, had a saying that has stuck with me for almost 30 years and likely will stay with me for the rest of my life:


  



“Don’t vote.  That way my vote counts more.”

What a great insight.  Why should anyone encourage others to vote just for the sake of voting?   All it does is dilute your value of your own vote.  Of course, it could be argued that a sound republic depends on the active participation of the electorate, but I think we can get along just fine without those that don’t care enough to exercise the most fundamental, yet somehow under-appreciated, right we Americans have.  Voter apathy is not, in my eyes, a "problem" that needs to be addressed.  Indeed, those people who need to be encouraged to vote presumptively are such morons that they shouldn’t be voting in the first place.  

Until I am crowned benevolent dictator, low voter turnout is the best option for me personally.  Primaries and off-year elections are perfect examples where low turnout effectively doubles the value of my vote.   So, to all those people who only vote in big election years or just don’t care, I say thanks for making me more important.  

I’ll make sure to remember you when I’m king.

No comments:

Post a Comment