Sunday, April 29, 2012

"Don't Resist a Robber." Really?

Today's print edition of the WaPo's Loudoun Extra (a whopping 8 pages of mostly non-news) includes a story on what to do in the case of a home invasion.  In the article, Loudoun County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Liz Mills urges residents, "Don't resist a robber.  Your possessions are not worth your life.  Follow the robber's commands but don't offer assistance."

While I agree that your possessions are not worth your life, I completely disagree with the idea that you can trust a burglar to just take your stuff and leave you alone.  It seems like the more frequent result is that the burglars rape, murder or severely injure the residents.  I mean, heck, they aren't there to drop off a plate of cupcakes!  If it were me, I hope I'd fight like a bastard right down to groin kicks and eye scratching - and doing so to my dying breath.  I know I don't want to go down without a fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment