Monday, April 9, 2012

Point of Personal Privilege – Solicitations from Bloggers

I don’t mind contributing money for worthy causes.  In fact, I actually enjoy helping people who genuinely need, and benefit from, some financial assistance.  Political bloggers, however, are not in that category.

Their websites shamelessly seek donations, often referencing the success of their current fundraising drive.  Donations for what?  A new mouse pad?  Their own Super PAC?  I’m not trying to start a blog war here, but I really don’t get it.  Yes, I have my suspicions about the guys at the corner of Rte. 7 and Potomac View Rd. with the three-gallon buckets seeking contributions for the Church of Our Lady of Innumerable Partners, but at least they have some kind of story.  Bloggers got nothing.  If they’re asking money to support their own hobby, forget it.  Go build model airplanes - the glue is a lot more fun.  If it’s the full time gig, then, well, maybe they should get out of their parents basement and see if they need help at The Container Store.  The contributions a blogger gets mixed with the few coins of advertising revenue he receives aren't going to get him the Lamborghini, or the super model,  in the poster above his bed.

OK, I need a drink.  Can someone spot me $10?

No comments:

Post a Comment